Cornwall Council has today voted on the Conservative administration’s first Budget since taking office in May 2021.
The Budget will see Cornwall Council’s share of Council Tax charge rise by 1.99%, plus an additional 1% for the Government’s adult social care precept. This total 2.99% rise is the equivalent of a 96p per week increase for an average band D property.
The proposals also include £1.3 billion of capital investment, including support for economic growth projects that create homes and jobs for local people and reflect the priorities of residents.
Councillor Linda Taylor, Conservative Group Leader and Leader of Cornwall Council said:
“I am pleased to see Cornwall Council today vote to approve our first Budget as a Conservative administration.”
“These are difficult times, as we come out of the COVID-19 pandemic, with adult social care in particular being a challenge as never before and we have had to make tough decisions to ensure essential services are maintained and vulnerable people supported.”
“We have also of course inherited numerous and complex problems associated with the past management of the council over the previous 8 years by the Liberal Democrat and Independent administrations that preceded us.”
“As the administration that runs Cornwall Council it is our job to effectively deal with these big issues that face us, not to kick them into the long grass or duck them altogether, as previous administrations have done. That just saves up trouble for later and is not a responsible way for a council to behave.”
“Our Budget today has been based on the priorities that the people of Cornwall told us about over the past year and we will continue to do all we can to responsibly and sensibly deliver on those priorities for Cornwall, and at the same time provide good value for the taxpayer.”