Cornwall’s Conservative Group has launched their ambitious plan to put Cornwall’s residents first ahead of 6th May’s Local Elections.
And the Group was joined by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who was delighted to endorse their plan for Cornwall.
The Prime Minister, Boris Johnson said:
“We have an outstanding team of hardworking Conservative councillors across Cornwall, led by Linda Taylor and her team, who - day in and day out - represent the people’s priorities in their communities and relentlessly champion Cornwall.
I wanted to put the call out to you today because we need more Conservatives elected in Cornwall!
We are the largest group on the council, but as you know, the council is run by coalition of Lib Dems and others.
To state the obvious – we want Conservative Councils everywhere -
But we obviously want a Conservative Council by the time of the G7 in Carbis Bay in June!
Cornwall Conservatives will spend your money wisely and support the priorities of people here,
They will close the Council’s Brussels office - saving £50,000 a year -
And they have a plan for new homes which will focus on local need and affordability, whist ensuring that Cornwall retains its unique and stunning beauty.
Cornwall Conservatives have a plan to support businesses and encourage new enterprises, linked to the support they will provide for the green economy and the huge opportunities of Spaceport Cornwall and the wider UK space sector.
And of course, the Cornish Conservatives will put our environment at the heart of all their decisions.
I can’t wait to be back in your part of the world soon,
And let me say this loud and clear - back your local Conservatives on May 6th and let’s build back better in Cornwall!”
Conservative Group Leader Cllr Linda Taylor said:
“I am proud to be presenting our Conservative Plan for Cornwall, but it’s not our plan, it’s your plan, a plan for every resident and business in this amazing place we call home.”
“We will never forget that the money the Council spends, is your money!
"For the last eight years, the Lib Dems and Independents who run the council have not wasted an opportunity to waste your money on their madcap schemes and vanity projects.”
“Despite Brexit, the Lib Dems and their friends who run County Hall seem to be hellbent on having more positive relations with countries in the EU than their own government and their agenda over the past four years has put them squarely at odds with the people of Cornwall.”
“Our plan delivers for Cornwall, cutting waste at County Hall, investing in new and sustainable businesses, keeps communities and the environment at the heart of every decision, and ensures that no one gets left behind.”
“Make no mistake about it, Cornwall Council needs change – vote Conservative on 6 May and we will be that change, for you.”
- While the Lib Dems and Independents have wasted money on expensive trips to the South of France without any benefit to Cornwall – Conservatives will spend your money wisely.
- Lib Dems and Independents have been critical of the future opportunities that space technology can play in Cornwall. Conservatives have reached out to the private sector and will support the technologies and jobs of the future!
- Lib Dems have used the Council as a political platform to bash the MPs and Government, calling for another referendum on Brexit. Conservatives have focused on the day job and the local services that matter to residents.
- Lib Dems and Independents have constantly resisted the cut in the number of Councillors and tried to increase their allowances. Conservatives have supported the cut in Councillors and freezing their allowances – saving thousands of pounds for Cornwall’s Council tax payers.
Conservatives in opposition have focused on the day job and if they win power in May, have promised to get back to basics and make the Council deliver the important local services that residents want to see.
Our incredible local Conservative candidates, with a huge range of experiences have been selected to stand up for their local community and seek election in May. From Armed Forces veterans to NHS key workers, both young and experienced Conservatives are fired up and ready to deliver positive change for their local areas across Cornwall.
Conservatives have today launched their 6 point plan for Cornwall:
- Close the Council’s Brussels office – saving £50,000 every year.
- Enable sectors like new green technology and space to flourish - turbocharging the economy, supporting businesses and entrepreneurs
- Introduce more 20mph speed limit zones where there is strong public support locally.
- Where local communities request them, we will reinstate community recycling bins.
- Prioritise housing for local people, to enable them to stay in the community they grew up in, with a focus on local need rather than large developments in the countryside.
- We will cut unacceptable delays in the assessment process for children with additional needs.